Thursday, June 24, 2010

Yep, another analogy …

As I watch the news I often find myself comparing the world’s issues to my daily hustle hoping to glean some nugget of wisdom. I do this because I‘d otherwise feel like I’ve been placed on the revolving rock with a few billion morons. Not that I’m smarter than anyone else, it’s just that the news will do that to you.

Anyway… you may not know this but there is a little foreign material leaking into the ocean. People who know about this are mad. Real mad. They have mostly been mad at the company who usually makes a lot of money when that stuff doesn’t pour out into the ocean. This is just human nature; be mad at those who have screwed things up, especially if they have more money than you.

The funny thing is that lately I’ve noticed some people are aiming their scorn at the people tasked with stopping the leak. Not the people who made the mess, but the people who are trying to wipe it up. And let me tell you, that is a hard friggin mess to wipe up!!!

That brings me to CAD Administration.
The job of a CAD Administrator is to help people be more productive. Most admins I know are just that, a “servant leader” if you will. And a few (me included) are volunteers who have unofficially acquired the job because they were the only one foolish enough to take it. They don’t make anymore money than anyone else. They just have a bit more in their bucket of responsibility. Plus, most admins are tasked with improving, solving, or fixing situations that they had no hand in fouling up.

So the next time you want to be mad at your CAD administrator, first consider if they had any control over the mess before it was handed to them.

CRASH!!! BOOM!!! THUD!!! (that was me falling off my soap-box)

Well, the server came in last night and we’ll be hooking it up in a little while. This should be fun.

1 comment: