Thursday, June 24, 2010

Serve(r) and Volley

A few weeks ago we closed the office that housed the majority of our Product Engineering and have since been in the process of moving everything to our headquarters (where I work). I have been tasked with getting all the engineering data here as quickly as possible so design work can recommence. The difficulty is that there are still a handful of engineers working out of that office who need to access that data and finish their projects. They are the last people I wanted to inconvenience as most of them are losing their jobs.
So I spent a few days trying to copy their entire Intralink server to ours over the WAN but quickly realized it would take forever. I finally convinced everyone it was best to shut their server down, FedEx it here and have the few people remaining there work over the WAN. Oh well, so much for not hassling anyone.

It’s one of those things where you’re going to get someone mad at you no matter what you do. Funny thing is that I have more people here giving me $h!+ than at the office that is being closed.
I’m quickly reminded that there will always be people who complain about anything they can get their misery aimed at (no matter how much you are helping them).

As I find myself saying more and more these days, “It is what it is”.

No comments:

Post a Comment