Saturday, June 12, 2010

PTC UX - WF6

One of the things I forgot to mention while at the PTC/User World Event is that I did the User Experience evaluation of Wildfire 6.0.

I usually avoid doing these one-on-one evaluations because I feel like a complete jackass fumbling through the simple steps I'm given. But I couldn't resist the allure of poking at the next version, so I took it for a spin and all I can say is, "Wow!!!"

Everything looks different. And I mean that in a good way.

The ribbon UI is now predominant in all command menus (not just detailing). This is a plus for me as I'm a big fan of the ribbon. Tasks are very logically organized making part and assembly creation a breeze. I was amazed at how intuitive it felt. It honestly seemed easier to find commands in WF6 than in the version I'm familiar with (WF3). Needless to say, that "jackass" feeling never showed up.

A few days ago I was drooling at the idea of jumping from WF3 to WF5 (have I mentioned WF5 frigging rocks?). Now I'm lustfully awaiting the release of 6.0

The only problem with witnessing the future is the present suddenly feels bland and uninspiring. Oh well, my inner-geek now has something to dream about.

Thanks to my new friend Amir for letting me kick the tires. Keep in touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment